Bureau Veritas was established in 1828 “to seek out the truth and tell it without fear or favor." The allegorical figure of Truth, represented by a woman emerging from a well, was chosen as the logo.
The Bureau Veritas emblem showed a young woman seated on the edge of a well with her arms raised. In her right hand is a torch, in her left a mirror. Her left foot rests on a globe.
On the ground are a pair of scales, Mercury’s wand (a caduceus), and a rooster with its eyes raised towards the woman. The horizon shows a three-masted vessel, sails billowing, passing across a bay.
The new logo, redrawn in 1990 in a pure heraldic style, adheres to the same symbolism.