Major accidents happen infrequently due to the care taken in development of equipment codes, and the increasing expertise of plant designers and operators.
However, many companies face major challenges related to the speed at which operations have to be installed, the manpower downsizing often required, the environmental pressures which may cause process changes, in some cases the aging of plant, and in other cases the acquisition of other company sites.
Despite all the challenges, a company must ensure that safety management is adequate and, if possible, compatible between one site and another, so that performance standards can be established and maintained.
What is Process Safety/Risk Management?
Process Safety/Risk Management is a part of safety management, which is concerned with major hazards impacting safety, environmental damage and business loss.
The major aim of Process Safety/Risk Management is to develop plant, systems, and procedures to prevent unwanted releases, which may ignite and cause toxic impacts, local fires, or explosions in plant or nearby premises. In addition, Process Safety/Risk Management can also address issues related to the operability, productivity, stability, and quality output of processes, leading to the specification of safeguards against undesirable events.
What are the key benefits?Major benefits of an effective Process Safety/Risk Management program include:
● Reduction of losses due to safety failures
● Reduced exposure to negligence and civil liability lawsuits
● Reduced exposure to regulatory fines, penalties or citations
The principles of Process Safety/Risk Management apply throughout the lifecycle of a plant or installation to ensure that the facilities can be managed safely and achieve acceptable levels of business risk overall.
Different Process Safety/Risk Management tools are used at different points within an operation’s lifetime.
- Conduct process risk assessments. Using our technical skills, we work with you to identify and quantify your process risks.
- Identify operability problems and associated process hazards. We assess existing Process Risk Management programs, identify where improvements can be made and offer hazard management enhancements.
- Evaluate public liability exposure utilizing computer software. We develop offsite consequence analyses for potential releases of specific materials from your operations.
- Conduct assessments to identify and quantify major process hazards. We review process operations and maintenance to evaluate your exposure and offer practical solutions to correct identified weaknesses.
- Review management and operating systems issues that affect the continuity of operations. We evaluate your programs, addressing: training, operating procedures, equipment specifications, maintenance, and management of change.
- Review regulatory compliance. We audit your process management programs for compliance with applicable regulations and industry best practices.
Bureau Veritas aims to advise clients about what studies are appropriate at any stage in a facility’s life, as well as to respond to client requests for specific work or for enhancements to their Process Safety/Risk Management program.
Why Choose Bureau Veritas?
Bureau Veritas is a global company specializing in the fields of Quality Assurance, Health, Safety, and Environmental (QHSE) services. With over 2,400 QHSE professionals in over 60 offices across North America, Bureau Veritas develops solutions that contribute to risk prevention and performance improvement to help organizations create long-term value through our technical and regulatory expertise. Bureau Veritas is present in 140 countries through a network of 900 offices and laboratories. It has more than 40,000 employees and a client base of more than 300,000.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How does Process Safety/Risk Management relate to techniques such as HAZOP?
HAZOP, consequence analysis, etc. form part of Process Safety/Risk Management. Bureau Veritas chooses techniques to incorporate in a particular study, to meet the client safety management system and/or to suit the legislative requirements.
To view our GSA contracts,please click here.
Contact us: 888.357.7020Send an e-mail
To get a better idea of how we can provide you with this service, fill in the quotation form. We will contact you.Click here